Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Mean Girls

My sister is at that real interesting age. She's in middle school, born in 93, so that would make her 11. It's so hard for me to think of her as anything but my baby sister so to hear her talk about school happenings baffles me. She talks about what girl broke up with her boyfriend, what friends talked behind each other's back and just plain old drama. So today she tells me that her best friend (who is also 11) is considering going on a diet because some little boy called her fat. The sad thing is the little girl is not large at all. So after discussing with my sister about how her friend is too young to be considering depriving her not-yet-fully developed body of calories, I told her I would watch this movie, Mean Girls, with her.

I'm appalled by the TV and movies of today. SpongeBob Squarepants with his homosexual tendencies and sexual innuendos has become a cult hit. This movie straight advocated teen sex, overall bitchiness and segregation. No wonder our kids are fucked up. Look what we teach them. We show them all these images and then we tell them not to do anything that they have seen. We tell them that it is ok to dress how they want as long as they carry themselves a certain way. But then we turn around and act as if sex is a taboo subject. We perpetuate these stereotypes in our minds and pass them onto our children and then get pissed off when they display them. (Let's not talk about how pissed off I am about the "unfriendly Blacks" comment and the Asians saying "Nigga please" in Mean Girls...that is a whole 'nother post.)

I'm just really pissed off that we show our children these movies filled with an hour and a half of sex, drugs, and lies GLAMORIZED and then, in the last five minutes of the movie have the nerve to muster up a half-ass moral and expect them to get it. Sistah Souljah's "The Coldest Winter Ever" had a very sick point at the end. Winter lost it all and literally had NOTHING. But what do most people talk about after finishing the book? "Damn, that Winter was fierce!" "Shit, I wish I had a Porsche!" "She was playin' them niggas like they need to be played!" If people my age cannot focus on the moral of the story and see passed the superficial, why do we expect these pre-adolescents to? This is why our beautiful young black queens end up hating their full lips, shapely hips, intricately delicate hair and themselves in general. Because we show them 2 hours of glamorized BULLSHIT, and when the credits come on, in fine print we tell them

disregard everything that was just shown and do the exact opposite

Well, fuck it. That is too little too late.

EDIT: I realize this post is a tad random, but it is 2 in the am. I'm just really upset with the things we allow to raise our children today. We sit them in front of this blank screen (and I say blank because there is rarely anything of value on) and allow our precious babies to learn life lessons through lies and videotape whether than sitting them down, looking in their eyes and telling them it's ok to talk to us. The days of passive parenting (if there was such a time) are long gone. It's not enough to tell our children, we have to actively teach them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home