Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I'm Sensitive About My SHIT....

A recent disagreement on okayplayer has got me thinking...How responsible are artists for the works they put forth into the universe?

If you don't read the whole link...here's a synopsis of what went down:

1. Ms. Wright aka Apples aka Erykah Badu posted on okayplayer with the title F$#% the police. Apparently she said that at a recent date on the Sugar Water Festival Tour and the New York Post decided to write about it. A tad upset that her words were taken out of context (she said it after performing "Danger"), she came onto okayplayer to offer the explanation that her 45 minute set wouldn't allow her to.

2. Folks start questioning her motives. Ok, is this some publicity shit? She mentioned 3 parts of a song, did she just post this to get some ideas from us? Has she ever even lived within the rules of the GAME?

3. ONE poster called BULLSHIT and compared Badu to the ministrel character "Mantan". Said she was basically pimpin the hood for profit.

4. Others chose the ride the bandwagon and took this as their opportunity to start questining Badu on her ever-changing image.

1st - peace and light. unity. Africa. Incense. Herbal Tea. Headwraps. Ankhs. Five Percent Mathmatics. Candles.

2nd - Dreadlocked weave. Africa. Earth. Peace. For the PEOPLE.

3rd - Big ass Afro Wig. Torn Jeans. Dead Prez T-Shirts. Fuck the Police?

Is this evolution and growth? Is this her expressing her different sides? Or is she cashing in on what sells at the moment?

One thing that kept sticking out was how in the hell can she go around singing about the GAME and FUKK THA POLICE is she doesnt experience the hardships? Shouldn't her art be her life? Art is supposed to be a reflection of life, but does it have to be YOUR life? Some OKPlayers said they need to see Ms Badu out on the front lines with the likes of Sharpton and Jackson before they believe she holds "fukk the police" attitude to heart.

So if art is a reflection of life, does it always have to be the life of the creator? Why are we so quick to want "positive" artists (Jill Scott, E Badu, Mos Def, Talib Kweli...etc) to do EVERYTHING in their lyrics, when if some not so positive artist did all the shit they claimed in their lyrics, this world would be 178973 times more messed up? I know, for myself, I've written poetry about things I've never experienced, yet have watched some people go through. Is it illegal to view a situation from an outside perspective and then write from an inside perspective if you've never actually experienced it? Or are there just certain circumstances and situations that are too sensitive and if you haven't been there it looks like explotation? Ya'll gotta talk to me about this one because I'm confused. For (an extreme) example, if a white person wrote a song about being black from a first-hand perspective, they would probably be BLASTED, because living this life with generous amounts of melanin is a precious and complex experience. However, plenty of people wrote about 9/11 from a first hand experience and didn't know anybody from Jersey, let alone Penn, Ney York or DC.

So basically my questions are:

1. What situations, if any, cannot be touched by those who haven't lived through it?
2. To what extent (if any), should we hold (ALL) artists responsible for the lyrics they present as their truth?
3. If you haven't actually BEEN THERE, are you pimpin it, even if your INTENT is just to shed some light on the situation?

5 Comments:

Blogger Dayrell said...

Being an artist in the industry...I think you're bound to be crticized. That's just what comes with the territory of being in the industry. So I do think that means you have to be careful of how you carry yourself in reference to "what you say" and the views you speak about, so that you won't be viewed as a walking contridiction...lol.

However, simitaneously, I think that there are some things you DONT have to experience yourself (b/c you can just flat out see them physically, with your own observant eyes) to know that its wrong. Ie: Police brutality; Child molestation; Mental/Phyiscal/Emotional abuse; Racism. Etc. Etc. Etc. So in shouting out these "wrong" indifferences that you see/observe as being wrong...I wouldn't exactly label that as pimping.

Nice post.

5:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. What situations, if any, cannot be touched by those who haven't lived through it?Anythign they can not direct relate through in their lives or the lives of others I believe. The lives we live should be impersonal of course, so i would understand her wanting to express her artist mournign for the "ghetto youth". But as ana rtist I think she should definitely be sexpressing her lifestyle, and exemplifying it to the world.
2. To what extent (if any), should we hold (ALL) artists responsible for the lyrics they present as their truth? A high extent. Artist have a huge responsibility to uphold. And she being as fluential as she is in a new genre(neosoul), she should be working n making that a more concrete avenue of expression.
3. If you haven't actually BEEN THERE, are you pimpin it, even if your INTENT is just to shed some light on the situation? I don't think it was her intent to pimp it, but I feel she has done so. Also, Erykah as a person and artist is in love with love, and I notice the music she makes reflects the lifestyle of her lovers. But I know well enough that we shoulldnt follow the "artist" but see them more as an instrument to convey message, and free thinker it is up to me to feed a positive message from it.

7:47 PM

 
Blogger SOULJOURNIN... said...

Well You know how I feel about Erykah Badu so it is hard to answer this question. I feel it is the way you present the information, there is a difference between speaking of the struggle and speaking for the struggle. For instance William Lloyd Garrison knew his pplace to speak of the struggle to other whites pushing abolition. But he knew not to speak for it. Only those going through can speak out for it, but to bring light and acknowledgement to it means that you have to do so in the way you sing/write about it. for instance If I write about a Black man and his struggle I would have to make a qualifying statement before it that I am speaking of his struggle and not for it.
However, my true opinion of ms Badu is simply she does not really have a grounding of who she is. She try to be so deep she lost herself. (sorry Liza I know you gon kill me for that one.)

11:21 PM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

@Big N - For commercial artists that solely exist for the mass consumption of garbage I feel you on this, but who discerns who is true? I've heard MADD people say that 50 Cent is true to the street and refer to him as living his words. Ask me and I'll tell you he is full of shit.

On the other hand, if you make a statement that everyone can agree with, you're pimping it. I see what you are saying here, but you are always gonna have opposers to EVERYTHING so is there any other way to tell if it's "pimpin'"?

@Dayrell - I definitely feel you on the "walking contradiction" thing, however isn't everyone a bit of a contradiction? It's just sad that artists have to be SO damn consistent in what they say and present otherwise someone is just waiting to jump on the slightest difference in opinion or image.

@Blaiqangel - Artist have a huge responsibility to uphold.
Do you feel this way about ALL artists?

Also, Erykah as a person and artist is in love with love, and I notice the music she makes reflects the lifestyle of her lovers. True.

I don't think it was her intent to pimp it, but I feel she has done so. You mind elaborating? How do you think she has done so?

@Virtuousone - Good example.

I'm not gonna speak on those last two sentences...*struggling to keep my mouth shut*

2:04 PM

 
Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

Oh my where have you been?
That is my WHY this Wednesday...What is yours?

Holla Back on the Blog!

7:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home