Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Thy will be done

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

I don't have a TV in my dorm room so I hadn't been able to watch the footage. And maybe that was for the best. I just got home today and I've been in front of the TV. And now I'm sick. Sick to the heart. It just...HIT.

I feel so helpless. So small, so useless.

I've lifted my hands to my Lord and prayed that his will includes saving as many lives as possible.

I've joined efforts at my new school to raise money for the victims.

I'm working on a plan that will have people from my school use extra money on their meal accounts to buy ready to eat goods for the victims. We'll box them along with cases of water and send them to Houston's dome and to shelters in the area.

But I feel like I can't do enough.

These are people who look like me. Who talk like me. They pray like me. They cry like me. They praise like me. They could very well be me.

And it hurts my soul to see them treated this way.

Living in Third World conditions in what is supposed to be the best country in the world.

Thrown back into a time where we were considered 3/5ths human. What's the difference between then and now? They just found new ways to kill us. Neglect is just as bad if not worse than taking an active role in the deaths of so many.

Where is our humanity?

Where is our compassion?

Where is our sense of community?

I feel like I need to touch these people. Literally hold hands with them, reassure them that not all of us disregard their lives just because they are poor. Let them know that a lack of money does not mean that their lives lack meaning or value.

But my hands feel so small.

My efforts so little in the face of this enormous tragedy.

I don't want to seem dismal, but I'm in a state of disheartenment.

Lord, let your will be done. All I can is pray that your will includes saving as many lives as possible and letting us, and by us I mean ALL humanity grow from this.


Lord, I know my hands are small but I vow to use them in a MIGHTY way....I'll do my best. I'll do what I can. Cast your grace upon New Orleans. They need you, they need you in a big way, at this moment. They need you to work miracles, and Lord......






I know you can.

6 Comments:

Blogger G. Cornelius said...

I understand...I feel ya...I'll keep you posted

12:00 PM

 
Blogger Ddot the King said...

It really is hard to watch knowing there's not much I can do. I will be donating money but even that doesn't seem to be enough. *sigh*

1:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you woman... this tragedy has been so humbling. It just knocks the complaints and the self-centeredness right outta me. *sigh*

And I KNOW that's not damn MIA G. Cornelius up there. LOL Where da HECK he been? (my mother would be so proud at the grammar). LOL

11:18 PM

 
Blogger C.R.C. said...

I'm right with you Aries.

10:40 AM

 
Blogger Phukofku Gale said...

My heart breaks right next to you.

But yesterday Brooklyn was Beautiful.

I got off the train at Utica (my stop) and ran into this slow moving muthF*** and almost cussed him out...then I saw he was toting a box. I tried to walk around him. I ran into a pile of boxes. I looked up the street Boxes. Boxes. Boxes. All lining the side of the street near the park. Traffic was glogged people were sweaty and buched together trying to negotiate their way through the mess of boxes.

Supplies.

There was an 18 wheeler up the block. It was FULL. Overflowing full. The boxes along the side of the block were the excess. Not enough room in the truck. about half a trailers worth of supplies yet unloaded.

And more were coming. Traffice was jammed because people kept stopping to give. It was beautiful. I bit my tongue. Said a prayer for forgivemenss. And one of thanks.

Bed-Stuy is not where the money is in BKLYN, but yesterday it sure was the heart.

My prayers go out to everyone affected by the tragic sloth of our nation. 3rd world indeed. Never happen in the Hamptons.

God Bless those toched by Katrina wrathful hand, untouched by the governments, but held in God's.

-Chrome*

8:19 AM

 
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

**Hugs Sis**

9:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home