Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

This is What I Do...

What I've been indulging in lately -


here
Amel Larrieux's CD Bravebird.










I've loved her since Groove Theory. Her voice is the truth and this is a laid-back CD that addresses some serious topics. Do yourself a favor and get this. For real.

Recommended Tracks:
For Real - the first single. Make me tear up a little if heard at the right time.
Bravebird - a freeing song for women who've endured the horror of female circumcision.
We Can Be New - refreshing song about starting over and feeling it all over again.
Congo - reminds me of an E Badu vibe session. Taking it back to where it all began. Trance-like.
All I Got - Be thankful for what you've got, even if it's not much. Old topic, great new song.



here

Aaron McGruder's Birth of a Nation













My baby has done it again. I adore Aaron. The Boodocks is my favorite comic strip ever. I've actually has this since the summer, but I just "rediscovered" it and fell in love all over again. Plus it doesn't hurt that it's setting is so close to my 2nd hometown. This book is funny (of course), smart and has social relevance. It's set in East St. Louis, a desecrated town if there ever was one. Full of black folk and ignored by anyone who doesn't live there. After being disenfranchised in the 2000 election, the people of East St. Lou set off to do something about it. Classic McGruder.



"Since I Seen't You" by Anthony Hamilton
I'd like this a lot better if the title was "Since I've Seen You" but perhaps that's just the English major in me. Nonetheless, this is a feel good track I could listen to on repeat all day. I got tired of Anthony since I wore him out and then the radio followed suit and beat "Charlene" to death. This track has revived him for me.


Sex and the City Season 4
I bought myself this DVD over the break. I can't afford to get all of them at once since they are like 40 bucks a pop so I start with the seasons I like the best. This is the season I really started getting engrossed (that word just sounds stalker-ish, doesn't it?) in the show. Carrie messes up with Aidan, Big is all over the place and Samantha just acts a plum fool in this season. My third favorite season behind 3 and 6.

I would post more except I don't feel like finding links and pics and ish....but these are the main things that entertain me as of late.

7 Comments:

Blogger Meka said...

I just bought this CD. It's amazing. I haven't like a CD like this since Floetry. I don't have to skip any tracks, and the lyrics are amazing. I'll have to check the book out. I have all the Sex and the City DVD's. I love it. A lot of people just focus on the sex, but to me at the heart of the show are four girlfriends who love each other and have made each other family. I think it's an amazing homage to sisterhood.

7:44 AM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

Gosh, I've been craving more Floetry!! I've been wanting Amel's CD for a while, but every time I went it was sold out. That just made me want it more, and now that I finally have it I haven't stopped listening yet.

Sex and the City really was special...one of my favorite episodes is the one where Charlotte was a "little" pregnant and lost the baby and it was Brady's birthday party that same day...that really showed the strength of the bond between the women on the show...

11:34 AM

 
Blogger Shana said...

I love Amel's song "Make Me Whole" . . . it's me and my boyfriend's favorite. . . we plan to play it at our wedding (or weddings if we don't make it with one another. . .lol)

1:10 PM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

"Make Me Whole" is beautiful. So pure. That is the song that really made me take notice of Amel outside of Groove Theory. "Even If" is another beautiful song off her last album as well.

3:11 PM

 
Blogger SOULJOURNIN... said...

Im gonna have to check her out. Also I have some extra Birth of a Nation Books my cousins co wrote it Reginald Hudlin and I met Aaron too while visiting him out in LA (Thats his best friend) I could hook u up if you want!

7:48 PM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

Shell, say word??? That's your cousin??? I'm so mad you didn't mention that!! Even if you didn't know my pro black ass loved the Boondocks, you should said somethin!! That's so hot, I wish more people knew about the book...The scene where the folks are fightin about Ike Turner being on the nickel is classic. As well as so many other scenes in the book. I already got a cherished copy though. *throwin my fist in the air* BLACKLAAAND!!

8:54 PM

 
Blogger Larry D. Lyons II said...

amel is my heart!! "make me whole"? WHAT?!?!?!? that song is one of my all time favorites.
i saw her live, performing songs from BraveBird shortly after it's release and was made an amel fan for life. her energy and her artistry are truly amazing.
her little daughters were sitting right by me. i felt like part of the family! LOL

I'm feeling you on A. Hamilton and Sex and the City too. Dang gurl, get out of my head!

2:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home