Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Action Figures Sold Seperately

You're in the club. It's a nice night, you're having fun. The DJ throws on a song everybody knows but you. No problem, you like the beat and you keep your ass out on the dance floor. All of a sudden, the chorus kicks on and everybody starts doing the same dance move. Arms are flying, hips are twisting, fingers are in the air. You look around and try to quickly pick up on what it is everybody is doing. You look left. You look right. The people are all engaged, eyes closed, with the "this is MY song!!" look on their face. You quit trying to learn and continue to do your own dance. People start looking at you crazy like you are fucking up a video shoot by being the only one on the dance floor not doing said movement. Defeated, you begrudgingly make your way to the bar to sit and wait for the next song.


You have been ambushed! There are certain songs that REQUIRE certain movements at the proper times. Silly you. You thought you could just pick up and go out after sitting on the couch for 8 weekends in a row? No, noooo!! There are new songs with new motions that must be mastered before stepping foot into a club.

Too many months of going out and being a self-proclaimed "party girl" at school have rendered me helpless against certain songs. They hold me hostage and demand that I do the accompanying dance/motion. So here is my (off the top of my head) list of:

Songs that I MUST do the actions to (No matter how hard I try not to):

"You Don't Know Me" - T.I.
This boy looked like he was about to knock himself out in this video. Ya'll know the deal - when he says "you don't know me":
First, point outward, Second, drag ya arm across the chest/neck area and Thirdly, point to yourself. YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!!

"Dirt off Ya Shoulder" - Jay-Z
Yeah, the motion may be annoying, but as soon as this song comes on niggas shoulders get linty as HELL. Brush it off...

"Lean Back" - Terror Squad
I try. I swear I do. I sit in the club, arms folded, screw face on, thinkin' "damn, is this song still getting airplay?!!?". All through the first verse and the first chorus, I'm stoic. There WILL BE NO dancing on this song. Then Remy Ma comes in...I feel my arms loosen.....my mouth starts forming the words..."we gangstas, and gangstas don't dance, we boogie...so never mind how we got in here wit' burnas and hoodies"...and then.....then....LEAN BACK NIGGA!!! DAMMIT...I feel my shoulder dip and the next thing you know I'm auditioning to be in Terror Squad. Mission Failed.

"Hotel" - Cassidy
"Six in the morning, six in the morning!!!" Don't resist. Just throw those hands in the air, one finger up on one hand and the other one flashing all five. Now flip em back and forth. Six in the morning, indeed.

"The One" - Cee-Lo
Ya'll musta forgot (c in a circle - Roy Jones. Who remembers that song??!!). This song was a banger...was it last summer? "Put ya finger in the air if you the one girl!" Shit, you besta believe my finger went up every time the chorus kicked in. Ya'll remember them ugly stupid hoes in the club who HAD to prove they were the one and threw up the finger with BOTH hands. Let's count....one finger....TWO fingerS...hmmm. It's like raising both of your hands in 2nd grade: two hands isn't gonna increase your odds. If you were gonna get called on, it will happen. If not, sit down, shut the fuck up and wait until there's another question (song) that applies to you.

"Knuck if You Buck" - Crime Mob
I know I've mentioned this before, but it's the perfect example to show how I MUST dance to my part in this song. When I was in ATL in October, Crime Mob performed at the club I was at that night. Ya girl was severely BENT on an entire bottle of Bacardi 151. I mean, I was OUT. "Cut off the lights close the curtains and pull up the covers" OUT. However, when homegirl said "I come in the club, shakin my dreds...", I hopped my ass up, shook my twists for all of 2.3 seconds and promptly passed de fuck out on the couch again. It was mandatory.

"Vivrant Thing" - Q-Tip
Ya'll remember this. Tilt ya head quickly to one side, then repeat. If you would like, you can say "Dum, Dum, DIDDAAAY!" (a la the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air")

"Tell Me" - Dru Hill
Ya'll remember this wack ass video and the wack ass dance that went with it. Them negros was bouncin around looking like some black ass overdone popcorn kernels. But I do it whenever I hear this jam.

"I'm Bad" - LL Cool J
Think back to this video. That's right....red pants...Kangol....no shirt...gold chains...yes...yes...you got it! Now there are two parts that are absolutely MANDATORY in this song. "Forget Oreos eat Cool J cookies!!!"....yes...the infamous "stomp and the crush" action....you're doing it now, aren't you? Admit it...it's ok. The second one is "I'll take a muscle-bound man and put his face in the sand...I'm BAD!!!"...Make the muscles...then take one hand and put your palm parallel to the ground, the other hand goes on the side of your head and you double over like you're so damn "bad" that it makes you sick to your stomach.

"The Butt" - EU
One of the originals. I'm convinced it's impossible to hear this song and not do the dance for it. Unless, of course, you are somewhere that makes it hard, in which case I'm SURE you will do the arm motions.

I tried not to include songs with built in dances, such as "Step in the Name of Love", "1,2 Step", anything that says "Do the A-Town stomp!", "Cha-cha Slide", "Peanut Butter and Jelly" etc... I know, I know, now you're saying, "But Aries, isn't 'da butt' a dance?" Technically, but all the songs I just mentioned cross song boundaries. If I see ANYBODY doing "da butt" on a song other than that one, best believe my right hand will be cockin' back for a full-on pimp slap.

And all my STL folks, there are no STL songs on here because we all know that we do the Mono/Chickenhead or the Stab/Shank/Pancake/Clown to every damn song by an artist from the Lou. It's just that Midwest SWWWAAANG!

Oh yeah, if want to ask me any questions click here and leave them in the comments. I'll be answering those sometime this week.

14 Comments:

Blogger The G Perspective said...

I don't know what region you are in but here in LA there is a lot of local music with song-specific dances for them. I was walking down Bourbon st two years ago during bayou classic and everyone was in the street bouncing and smiling to this song called Jiggilate. I loved black people, collectively, more at that momment than any other single momment in my life. I have never seen that much joy from that many people all doing their same little tribal ritual. Needless to say it wasn't long before I picked up on the Jiggilate so I could share some of that energy.

5:40 AM

 
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

1. Girl my part of Knuck If You Buck is "We Be Knuckin and Bucking and ready to fight."

2. Girl you forgot all about the Squirrel

3. If I bump into one more heffa tryna 1-2 step...lol

8:48 AM

 
Blogger LB said...

OK, I'm 'bout to out myself, but I was in the club once and they played Thriller. Mayne, I had mastered so many moves from Thriller that u would've thought that I was one of those zombies in the street...grabbed my imaginary nuts and everything. **Now proceeds to duck behind corner**

9:00 AM

 
Blogger C.R.C. said...

Girrrl you had me goin with this one!!!!! I'm sitting here doing the dances and leaning back and doing the butt and nodding my head and dusting my shoulders off and such. ROFLMAO! And remember I'm from Chicago, so we got all them extra "bus stops" and "electric slides" and "casper slides" with all these various line dances and steppin moves, lol.

@ Diggem - homie don't be shamed! I loves me some Michael **trying to do the leeeeean in Moonwalker before I fall to the floor** I know dances from MANY a Michael Jackson video!!! :)

10:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay! And I can't talk about Cleveland? But we can can get all the joke in about Roy Jnoes Jr. huh? Aiight. Bet. We need to talk.

~Under Contract~

12:56 PM

 
Blogger Meka said...

Damn I must be old. I haven't even heard of most of those songs. Knuck if you Buck?? What does that even mean? Now Da Butt... I'm still feeling that song. Anytime I hear it, it takes me back and it's a must for me to dance. Guess I'm showing my age right:)

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

@ JEDI - Did you miss the entire STL disclaimer? I'm in the Midwest, dirty! lol....I know about the Jiggilate though. I love that dance! It makes me mad when folks think Ciara made it up because she did it ONCE in her song.

@ Brutha-Free - Where are you at bringing up the "bankhead"? Gotta be in GA somewhere. What song do you all still do that on?

@ Suezette - Girl I love that part too! It's just that when I had my twists everyone would look at me on the "shakin my dreds" part and it evolved into being "my part" to clown on. What is the Squirrel?

@ Diggs - *pullin you from around that corner* Girl, hush! I swear Thriller was about to be on the list just for the little dance with the zombie arms, you know, the one Donovan McNabb does all the time. But then I couldn't name a time when I've heard that in a club, so it had to go. But I'm with you...put on ANY MJ song and I'll act OUT!

@ Chevonne - Hell, yeah Chicago is good for all those line dance. I love them though.

@ Mr Anonymous "Under Contract" - Boy, you know Roy Jones is open material. That song was wack as hell and even Fat Joe got cracks on him. But, still : NO TALKING ABOUT CLEVELAND!

@ Meka - Don't worry, just let this entry serve as the official guide. Now you won't be out of the loop when these songs come on! lol...glad to see "Da Butt" still takes you back. Every time I hear it I think of Spike Lee's little bony butt all down low and dancing...

3:41 PM

 
Blogger butterphliâ„¢ said...

i'm glad i read this. i guess i won't be making it out to the club anytime soon because i can't dance to save my life. and i refuse to get on the floor and make a damn fool of myself in my cute shoes LOL

5:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahah v-day? LOL anyway, yeah its okay about the great grandma. thank you though... btw go to thefacebook.com and request to have northwest put on there. we need to get on that site. it is fucking amazing. mizzou and shit is on there. do it for me.

6:09 PM

 
Blogger ShawnQt said...

I go to a gay club, and let me tell you, if you don't see a group of people doing the exact dances from Destiny's Child "Lose My Breath", they will think you are crazy. The dance where Beyonce blows make-up in someone's face is a classic! LOL.. YOU JUST HAVE TO TRY IT ONCE!

9:09 PM

 
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

OK... what about tha dancehall reggae songs? They have new dances every week! Scooby doo, pon di river, signal di plane, twist di lightbulb, sesame street, rockaway, tundaclap etc...

I don't even bother to keep up. By the time I got one downpat, there are like ten more that came out.

11:17 PM

 
Blogger G. Cornelius said...

"Knuck if You Buck" - Crime Mob

CLUB CLASSIC in the M-Town...I'll keep you posted

8:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!! "Y'all musta forgot?!" Yes. That was the funniest....big up to Roy Jones!

12:38 PM

 
Blogger Dayrell said...

"The Butt" - EULOOOOOL!!! Yes you're right! This was the joint! Even the flat-booties could get down with this dance without feeling bad for their defect...lol. Just kidding. :)

All the songs you mentioned were truly club bangers. Dang Soul! You're make me want to go to the club RIGHT NOW and cut a rugg...I haven't been in soooo long....lol. Guess you can saw I've been on ummm, hiatus...lol.

4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home