Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Free Yo Mind

Since tis a beautiful day outside, I feel in a sharing mood. Here are two freewrites that I did yesterday....Just getting some thoughts out....



(After a read or two, I realized this could be read as an ode to my youth which is quickly passing me by. I'll be the big 2-0 in two more days!! However, it is not. Make of it what you will...)

If heaven was a mile away
I would probably get lost on the way there
Would take a wrong turn
or two or three
making lefts
that shoulda be right
and although
they say three lefts
end up right anyway
I'd still be lost
because by then
the sun would have gone down
and I would have to squint to see
the signs
and even if
I pulled over
to fill up and God
told me which way to go
and that my destination was only a mile down the road
I'd probably
get too cocky
gun the gas
and hit 100 on the way there
passing heaven by
while singing along to Tupac
and wondering
why a mile seems so far


__________________________



(Lite Skinned Girls Cry Too?)

(I read a theory in a book
stating that perhaps
those with lesser amounts of melanin
and skin comparable to the sun
feel the need to be militant
to "prove" their blackness
and I wondered if they have anything to prove
but then)

I heard that 2 days ago
in the year 2005
there was a party at a club
where lite-skinned girls
got in free
and I wondered if those who werent
lite
were being punished
I wondered if those whose skin
shined like ocean water at night
were pushed to the back
and told to wait
while the lite skinned girls passed them by
with heels just a tad bit taller
placing them just a little bit above
and I wondered if
lighter
equaled
prettier
and if that was true
what did dark equal?
because I'm dark
I wondered how much dark girls had to pay
to get in
and how many
if any
turned away in disgust
I wondered
if after a night
of watching men
fawn over lite girls
who were the pick of the night,
the guests of honor
how many dark girls
walked outside
and didn't get to see the full moon
but could tell you every crevice in the sidewalk
on the way to the car
minds cluttered
as they went home
with lighter wallets
and heavier hearts

Come on now Shell, you know you couldn't tell me that and have me not write somethin' about it! Craziness...


Chea, son, so dere dey are - two freewrites. Don't consider dem poems, cuz dat be not what these are. See...?:


Blog Entry #7485
April 4, 2005
I once read a theory in a book stating that perhaps those with lesser amounts of melanin and skin comparable to the sun feel the need to be militant to "prove" their blackness. And I wonder if they really have anything to prove.

But then I heard that 2 days ago, in the year 2005, there was a party at a club where lite-skinned girls got in free. And I wonder if those who werent lite were being punished. I wonder if those whose skin shined like ocean water at night were pushed to the back and told to wait while the lite skinned girls passed them by with heels just a tad bit taller placing them just a little bit above. I wonder if lighter equals prettier and if that is true what does dark equal?

Because I'm dark.

I wonder how much dark girls had to pay to get in and how many, if any, turned away in disgust.

I wonder if after a night of watching men fawn over lite girls who were the pick of the night, "the guests of honor", how many dark girls walked outside and didn't get to see the full moon but could tell you every crevice in the sidewalk on the way to the car as they went home with their minds cluttered, with lighter wallets and heavier hearts.


Ok, so maybe it doesn't work as well in strictly prose form, but that shits is not a poem. 'Member dat!


Peace from somewhere west of the east.


*EDIT: If Blogger fucks wit my spacing ONE mo' time....Imma start a riot in this bitch!!*

5 Comments:

Blogger Toya said...

happy early birthday! ok now...are you serious??? sad sad sad...even today in 2005, and folks act like black folks still dont have color complexes...i'm mad at that! now you would think maybe in the late 1800's, early 90's, 1950's, 60s, 70's, 80's and even 90's, but 2005? sheesh!

6:30 PM

 
Blogger Luke Cage said...

What's happening Soulful? I was feeling the scribes, and I especially liked "Lite Skin Girls Cry Too?" Hell, give me mine dark and chocolate anyday!

6:33 PM

 
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

that's not cool, let the skin tone politiks vanish.
kudos on the "free writes" or non-prose. ahaahhaha.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHICA BONITA!!
you can almost drink legally, but you can drink legally in canada if you wanted to...

7:24 PM

 
Blogger TheSaga said...

I agree with Luke Cage. I date women of all complections but for some reason the darker ones do something to me that mesmerizes me. i love all complections though... except for really pale.

8:01 PM

 
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

**SNAPPING***....girl Yimmy Yah...or Yimmy Yae...damn I always be quoting Love Jones and I hate that freaking movie.
I loved that entry to pieces!!

9:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home