Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Now Starring....

As I sit in my desk chair, freshly peeled out of some Rocawear jeans, a grey hoodie and matching grey New Balances, eating a strawberry Edy's fruit bar (which ain't shit but a grown-up popsicle and listening to Teedra Moss, I start to wonder...

(yeah I just realized that intro doesn't have a damn thing to do with anything but so the fukk what?)

So, I may have bitten off more than I can chew. In a recent comment section, Star implied that I may be able to give up some P.I.M.P. tips since it appears that I have a stable of men. My friends who know details about my "love life" (if I can call it that), jokingly say that I have more men in my life than a little bit. When Luda's "Pimpin All Over the World" comes on, I usually proclaim to anyone that will listen that it's my theme song of the moment. However, I'm not made out for pimpin, I'm not even made out for "dating around". I'm a one man type of woman and while some view the guys in my life as actual companions, I view them more as options.

The truth of the matter is, what I have now is a few guys who like the possibility of having me in their life romantically. That's not to say that anything will happen or that I feel the same way. Shit, I guess the easiest way to discuss this would be to break down the major players in the game. So here goes.

The Cast:
(please know that this list is in no specific order...so dun trip if you're first or last.)

Mr. Young
Background Information: Warm As the Sun Dipped in Black, Number 6 of My Confessions, A Letter to My Beautiful Surprises

We met last semester, wow...that seems so crazy to think that I've only known him for less than a year. Anyways, we became really close and as time went on, he became my shoulder to lean on. He's just so easy to talk to and he's one of those people who never makes you feel as if you're being judged when you talk to them. After a few months of being "strictly friends", we grew a lot more close and our relationship developed into something that is not easily defined. However, when I stop and think about where we are going now, it seems that we have fulfilled our obligation to each other.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about people's purpose in other's lives and how someone may come into your life for a short amount of time, fulfill their purpose and then leave. Not necessarily on bad terms or because of certain circumstances but just because there is nothing else you can do for each other. I feel that way when I think about Young. It just feels like he was placed in my life to help me through a time when I really needed someone and now that I'm passed that, I'm not sure if our relationship can sustain. I don't want this to sound as if I used him, because I didn't. He is a special person in my life, I'm just not sure if he's that "special person", even if he assures me that he can be.

Slim
Background Information: Slim: Parts I & II, certain sections of Closed: Will Reopen Once Healed,and Aries:Unplugged
Most of you know the deal with Slim, so we can skip straight to the point here. And what is that exactly?

*DRUMROLL*

*pulls you closer and whispers, "I think I'm catching feelings for him...."*

Even more proof that I cannot be a pimp. Pimps don't have feelings. Say it with me now..."We don't lub dem hoes!!" *hangs my pink fedora, complete with white feather on the coat rack*

He makes me laugh. When I'm not around him, I find myself thinking about the next time I will see him. I noticed when we didn't talk for a whole day. I miss his touch. He aggravates me (which is a sign that I care, however odd that may be...if I didn't care, I'd be nonchalant and nothing about him would bother me). He says the things I wanna hear, but not in a "this negro is running game" way.

It's not infatuation because I've been there and this doesn't feel like that.

When it all comes down to it, I can see myself setting everyone else aside to be with him. And that's real.

So why don't I just do that? The whole "all the eggs in one basket" theory. I just don't know if I'm ready to place all my trust, hopes and relationship fears on one person.

E Bentley
Background Information: Number 12 and I'm Rich, Biaaaatch!
Met him last summer. We've stayed in touch, which is extremely rare for me. In the beginning, we had some GREAT conversations. It was like we could talk about anything. Maybe that was part of the problem. While we both acknowledged that if we were closer in proximity (he lives in Florida) something more than long-distance friendship may occur, the reality is that we don't. So we engaged in excellent conversation, talking about almost any and everything in our lives, including this girl he was involved with. So while I found myself growing closer and closer to him and actually entertaining the thought of a long-distance relationship, it took me a while to realize that he was stuck in this other situation that occupied not only his time but a portion of his feelings. So I pulled away, fearing that I would become emotionally attached to a guy who, at any given moment, may have dropped me for a girl he had a history with and obvious feelings for. Now ask him, and he may tell a different story, but this is my blog, my side.


Mr. 100%
Background Information: Lovers and Friends and If I Woulda Knew
Dude intrigues me....I didn't even realize I had blogged about him in December until I scoured the archives trying to find back files and that entry popped up.

I guess this is a good a time as any to give you all the update to what happened when I went over there to watch Belly.

I get over there and he pops the movie in. So we're sitting there on the couch, enjoying the movie, munching on pretzels and sippin Smirnoffs. About 20 minutes into the movie, he pulls me close to him and situates me under his arm. We chill like that for a moment and then I feel him pull away. I look up and he's leaning in, trying to kiss me. I looked at him, with his fresh braids and beautiful lips, and turned my head so that all he got was a taste of my cheekbone. With the lame ass explanation that I was "kinda in a relationship" and a gentle kiss on his cheek to soothe his bruised ego, we watched the rest of the movie with his arm around my waist. When it came time for me to go home, he walked me to my car, gave me a tight hug goodbye and promised that he would call me on his off day (Wednesday). As promised, my phone rang at around 2:00 on Wednesday. It was him, calling to give me his new cell number and seeing if we could hook up for a late lunch. I quickly rushed him off the phone with the promise that I would call him right back. I never did. He called me 4 more times that day. I never returned the calls. Today he called me. On Highway 70 and safely out of his reach, I answered the phone. He let me know that it was messed up how I played him to the left but that he wasn't mad. He said that he respected whatever I was ready to let him be in my life and that he only wanted to catch up over lunch. I actually felt kinda bad and found myself promising that I would call him this week and make sure to see him the next time I came in town.

Mr. Big
Background Information: N/A (Actually, after some further investigation, we found this: Number 4. Did you just ask yourself who the "we" was that found this information? Dun worry 'bout it...ya'll know the people that always do the background checks, the CIA, FBI, BBD, TLC, SWV and dem'...yeah, Big Brutha)

One of my best guy friends in the world. If I were to rank the men I know (excluding my family, and therefore my favorite guy in the world - my daddy) based on personality alone, he would probably top the list easily. I cannot think of a single thing that we can't talk about. All that shit that we ladies hide from guys, trying to be cute, we've discussed. He's seen me at my worst and yet he still wants to try a relationship with me. I didn't even realize that he thought about me that way until I got a little too much liquor in the system one night, dared him to show me how a certain piece of apparatus (that he wasn't born with...think about it...) enhanced a much-talked about act and he actually gave me a *cough*live demonstration*ahem*. Since that night, I've tried to play like Israel on College Hill and claim a temporary "blackout" due to alcohol consumption, but that shit didn't work.

So we exist on. Me, speaking to him on a strict friendship level, and him taking what he can get, but not so secretly wishing that we can replay that night with a few script revisions.

Oh, I guess I should explain why it will never ever ever ever ever (say it like Chris Tucker would) happen again. If you read the background, you know. But for the folks who don't utilize the secret files I've provided, here is the main point: I'm not sexually attracted to him at all. There is no "za-za-zuh" as my homegirl Carrie Bradshaw (and NO, she is not just a character played by Sarah Jessica Parker, she lives on inside of me...) would say. It's not that he's an unattractive guy, it's....damn this sounds shallow....well, look at his alias and figure it out for yourself. And for the really slow ones...(*sidelong glance at Bruhfree*), let's just say he's a LOOoOoOOoOOng way from being able to bounce quarters off his stomach...Oh, I'm so ashamed, call me shallow, go ahead..I deserve it.


So there they are, the (main) men in my life. As you can see, I have a unique relationship with each and every one of them. And while this may be a case of me trying to "have my cake and eat it too" (a STOOPID ass saying if you ask me....), I feel like Jay-Z said it best: "Love havin my cake plus eatin' it too. Shit, I got cake, what the fuck I'm 'posed to do??

Let's just hope it doesn't bite my ass back......

8 Comments:

Blogger TheSaga said...

completely agree with keneshas last line. live it up while you can. you wont be able to get all of these benefits from just one person. just be sure to stay honest.

3:28 PM

 
Blogger butterphliâ„¢ said...

damn gul (girl, that is... that Gawja slang), you got menS for days.

i feel you about being a "one man type of woman." i feel all confused and overwhelmed (LOL) with too many menses (men, that is) in my life. sounds like Slim has you singing Alicia Keys' "Fallen"... girl, go ahead and make it official. i know it can be scary to commit, but maybe it will be worth it.

oh hell, what am i talking about... keep P.I.M.P.ing girl... i like reading about you and your boyfriendzes

3:59 PM

 
Blogger quietstormremix said...

E Bently? Naw...Call the Kid E Class 745. Better yet, 760i. That's the new jump off. Anyway, it's nice to know that I am still thought of at times. But since you told your side, I'll tell mine in my blog. But like I said, that part of my life has been over and done for at least 2 months. So...if my contract is still good you have no choice but to trust me. And if I haven't changed your mind by then, wait to we get to UT this summer. You know the kid leaves no doubts at all...

~I'm going for that #1 spot!~

8:59 PM

 
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

i love the breakdown of each relationship. it isn't wrong to have such connections with these people as long as both parties are aware of what's going on. you aren't leading these dudes down a path of denial so... go for what's yours. have the cake and the damn plate. if i needed to wager on these fine specimens (your stable), my money is on SLIM. He seems like 3:1, since you ditched 100% and the next dude is in Florida. Well, fill me in if you cut anyone from the team....hahahha

10:50 PM

 
Blogger butterphliâ„¢ said...

ok, i just had to come up in here and correct my last comment... Alicia Keys DOES NOT sing a song named "Fallen" LOL. i know y'all knew what i meant but i just had to clarify.

11:24 PM

 
Blogger Dayrell said...

Dang you remind me SO much of myself. lol!

Well after reviewing the unknown suspects carefully and consisely, I say you should go ahead and give Slim a try Soulful. He sounds most applicable and/or better qualified for filling the "best boyfriend material/keeping Soulful happy/sweeping Soulful off her feet/(insert your most yearned boyfriend quality here)" position. Just my opinion. lol. But hey, I think you should just go for Slim, point blank. Stop comtemplating and get HIM girl. You had me laughing at some parts of your post, b/c it was funny how you make facing your feelings and commiting to Slim sound as if your about to jump off a cliff head first or are playing Russian Roulette. But I say, girl youre young! Have fun! Just go after what you want! And if it so happens in the end that Slim ended up not being the man for you, then you have plenty of time to pursue others. There's men everywhere, worldwide.

But on the flipside of it all, it IS fun to date and be free from obligations. B/c I, myself, happen to love dating just for those reasons alone. So I can see why you like to have your cake and eat it to...but at the same time, if you have "hard" feelings for someone you just have to GO for it, that's how I feel. Hey, just follow your heart sista, and you can't go wrong. And if it was mean't to be, then everything will fall properly in it's place. Life is about taking risks right? And I was always taught that the most sucessful people in life are the ones who took the most risks. So hey? :)

Ya know. All that I'm telling you I am just discovering for myself strange enough. So I guess we are learning together huh? lol.

Dang this was long. lol.

3:20 AM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

@Nakaboom - Each guy came into my life at a different time and each relationship kinda evolved. So it's not like I just had to figure out how to give each guy a piece of me all at the same time.

@ LBoog - You feel me! I was watching this special about Ralphie May and his girlfriend and she talked about how they got together and how she didn't want to talk to him at first. Then she was like, she said "the only reason I wasn't giving him a chance was because he was fat, and that's so stupid". Made me feel kinda bad but then I need that sexual attraction and no matter what someone says, a great personality does not grow into attraction over time.

@Kenesha - lol@"all hemmed up". Damn, that's a way to think about it, huh? It is nice to have a few guys in "rotation" as you say. Always someone to call for almost every situation, so I think I'll miss that once I decided to settle down. But maybe I can find that in one guy...? We'll see...

@The Saga - well damn, you just killed my last sentence to Kenesha, huh? If there's one thing I try to be, it's honest. Sometimes too much so.

@Mia - shhh...don't be puttin all my business out there like that! But it is lookin good for Slim...

@E - you got the Bentley name because of your habit for making folks hold umbrellas. But you know you are always thought of. But we'll see...

@Star - lol@"the damn plate". Leave it to you to tell me to indulge in gluttony! But I will keep you updated if there are any changes in the lineup. *wink*

@Dayrell - lol@your thorough investigation.

I hear ya. I'm making committment sound like I'm throwin one foot in the grave, huh? It may be time to turn in my lil bronze playa's card though...

And girl, we can gon' ahead and learn together, because lawd knows I could use someone going through my experience!

@C-Breeze - Why do I feel like bustin' a B-Boy stance everytime I type your name? lol...But onto the subject, I am thinking it would be nice to have that ONE guy. And I certainly don't want to push Slim away, we already talked about that because I was doing just that a short while back.

@RBG - Girl, it wouldn't surprise me. Unless you are talking about seeing Slim....den we might have to lace up dem gloves!

6:46 PM

 
Blogger SOULJOURNIN... said...

Now finally a glimpse in the mind of the aries. For all Yall commenting know that in person she never explains this much lol.

10:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home