Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Hot List (#2)

112 - "You Already Know"
I first heard this on the radio in St Louis during the Winter Break. Throughout the first verse I thought it was Michael Jackson singing, halfway through the first verse, I realized that it was Slim from 112. Then the chorus came on and it was some freaky shit about her favorite position being "from the back door." This song is smooth as hell. I've never been a 112 fan, but I always listened to them with a "eh, so what" attitude. This song may give them a little spot in my heart. *EDIT* - Click Here and scroll down until you see the link to hear the song.




Marques Houston - "Because of You"
I used to be the biggest Immature fan. When I was younger, I had an entire border around my room made up of those one page posters from Word Up!, BlackBeat and Right On! of nothing but Immature. I even had pictures that included the little Chinese boy nobody remembers. After all that, there is no soft spot in my heart for any of the Immature members. I still listen to their old albums and jam, but the new IMX doesn't do it for me. Then came this song. Save for Youmg Rome's (WTF kinda name is that?) rap, this song is really decent. Production by new duo Corna Boyz.


Mariah Carey - "It's Like That" and "We Belong Together"
I'm an undercover Mariah fan. Hell, I didn't even realize until about three years ago when I was going through my CDs and I realized I have four of her LPs and various singles. Then I started paying attention. I like Mariah. She uses phrasing in her songs that you would never expect to hear in pop music. Below I've put some of her lyrics followed by what today's dummies would say:


I can see you clearly
Vividly emblazoned in my mind.

I still think about you.

I am thinking of you
In my sleepless solitude tonight.

Alone in my room, I think of you.

To relive the splendour of you and I.
I wanna go back to how things used to be.

That's unyielding and sacred to me.
It's serious to me.

Underneath the guise of a smile
Gradually, I'm dying inside.

I'm smiling but this shit is tearing me up.

I was a wayward child.
I was a bad ass kid.


I left the worst unsaid
Let it all dissipate.

I let all that bad shit fade away.

It's a shame to be
so euphoric and weak.

Damn you got me open!

I think of our untimely end
Why we break up?

Anyways, back to the matter at hand, both of these songs are hot as hell but "We Belong Together" has been on repeat for three days on my laptop. No lie. This song just hits me. I'm glad Mariah is back...I just hope this time she's not invisible.



Brooke Valentine - "Girlfight"
This song makes me wanna fight some broads. You had betta believe the minute I find out what dumb hoes sent that email, they betta hope this song is not anywhere within my hearing range. Because I will throw this shit on, commence to warming up and then proceed to kick ass. Beligerent behavior aside, this is a good ass song. Lil Jon produced.




Tropical Twist Trident
My new favorite gum. It tastes good, the flavor lasts a long time and you can pop bubbles if you chew two pieces. Plus, it's 84 cents at Walmart.





Nature Valley Oats 'N Honey Granola Bars.
I rarely ever eat breakfast unless I'm at home (St. Louis) and it's Saturday. So here at school if I ever eat breakfast, this is it.





Palmer's Cocoa Butter.
I've been using this religiously for about a month and a half now. It's much more fun than liquid lotion to put on and plus after I hop out the shower I smell extra good with this shit on. Especially at night. Oh yeah, and it makes your skin soft too.

8 Comments:

Blogger butterphliâ„¢ said...

I discovered i was a mariah carey fan a few years ago and was compelled to by her #1's CD.

I love me some granola bars and I eat them for breakfast and lunch.

I bought that 112 CD in November '03 while visiting ATL from Idaho and i loved it... at first. And then I started hating it. I really dunno why. Except for the song "Right Here For You" and that Interlude right before that... that's my jam.

I used to love Immature... "I will never lie again..." man, memories.

i don't know a damn thing about Brooke Valentine though LOL.

Love your Trident commercial. Now i have to go to Walmart and get some just 'cause Miss Aries advertised it.

e'ry black person has a bottle, tube, or container of cocoa butter in their home some damn where. LOL

9:49 AM

 
Blogger MBT4679 said...

Ok so I am slowly letting the world know that I have been a HUGE Mariah Carey fan for years!! I love her!! People can say what they want but I love me some MiMi. Its Like That is HOT!! I hear it and I was like "go mariah, go mariah"

Palmer's cocoa butter baby oil = truth!! Have you tried it? It is often hard to find, but it is the best thing since sliced bread. Check it out

1:37 PM

 
Blogger cookie21204 said...

Mariah is the shit!! she's the only one I believe that I have bought singles from too. I'll be so glad when this wave of Beyonce is over.

3:49 PM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

@ Mia - That Immature song was the HOTNESS!!

Brooke's song is cool. Her album is garbage though.

I previously thought cocoa butter was only useful on scars. lol...u know us black folk get a scar and slap that butta on it. I guess I figured it was something to be rationed. Like if you used it too frequently, it's magical healing powers would be nulled. Who woulda thunk it was good for all yo skin?

@ Tam - Maybe he had an itch? But uuhh...that's a more disturbing idea than the one you first presented, so we will stick with your presumption.

@ Danja - Baby oil + cocoa butter? Say word? I can't even fathom the greatness. I gotta find that somewhere.

@ Nikki - Because females like me have to pull out the dumb hobeaters at times and that song is the perfect soundtrack to a primo ass whopping. And yeah radio does suck...how can it not when like 90% of the airwaves are owned by one company?

@ Solitaire - You concur that the trident is good, no? Might have to put you on my endorsers list...lol

ugh@ groupies

I've been listening to that Keyshia Cole song for HELLA months, I wore it out. But I have downloaded some of her other stuff and she's straight. I'll have to hear her album as a whole before I make my final verdict tho.

And nothing's wrong with being a Mariah fan. It's just that I didn't realize how much I liked her until I looked through my CD's. I was the same way with Aaliyah, I liked her but didn't realize how much until I peeped that I have all her CDs and knew the words to all the songs. certain people just fall under the radar while sneaking into your ears, u know?

@ Vagitis - Ehh...if you are waiting for that wave to be over, don't start counting the hairs on your head because u just might finish. Just ignore Bey if you don't like her...that's why Kanye only exists in my mind half of the actual time he's around.

5:36 PM

 
Blogger Toya said...

i havent head of any of those songs...i dont really listen to the radio anymore cuz alot of these RnB people cant sing to me...so i stick witht eh old stuff...i dont care for 112 anymore, and Batman, i mean marques Houston, i dont like him with his hairline running fromh is face...lol...i liked LDB and Romeo better, and yea i remember the chinese boy, that was half pint....and Mariah Carey, i havent liked her since she tried to go hip-hop, putting allt hese rappers on her songs...but she was the bomb whens he first came out....

5:51 PM

 
Blogger G. Cornelius said...

Palmer's Cocoa Butter is off the hook! It has been blessing my skin since I've been a lil boi...I'll keep you posted

12:43 AM

 
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

@ Toya - sounding like the Dave Chappelle Hater of the year. "I HATE EVERYthing!!!" i kid, i kid...

@ Brutha-free - That's because you don't have any taste. *stickin my tongue out*

Naw...these are just my lil "songs of the moment", you know, those songs that you really like for abour a month and then almost never think about 'em again? (with the exception of "we belong together" by mariah. That song is DAMNED hot.)

@ G Corny - So you were a lil greased up baby like me, huh?

1:19 AM

 
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

wowsers... i'm soo deleyed on this tip. I love 112, and that song spits hot fyre. hahahaha. Immature was crazy back in the days, never enjoyed the IMX days. I met them backstage once when they were on the Scream Tour in the t-dot. I remember that chinee bwoy too, he must have got cut from the team. Mariah is bananas. Best selling female artist ever, no one can hate on that. Imma buy some of that Trident gum styll... i'm out

10:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home