Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

My Promise

Max




You may have noticed that my page was blacked out for the majority of March 8th with a promise to Rashawn Brazell. My promise is that I will not let him be forgotten. It's a promise that shouldn't have to be made. His name should be as widely printed as that of Jon Benet Ramsey. His face as familiar as Laci Peterson's. Humans, young and old, Black and white, gay and straight should loudly protest the brutal way in which he was snatched from this earth. However,

It is obvious that the mainstream media is sending us a message. A message that says our young Black lives don't mean a thing to them. Rashawn is hardly mentioned. They refer to him in ways PETA would deem inhumane for animals. They are trying to sweep him under the rug.

It's a message they've been sending us for decades.

They refuse to use their ink to report and respectfully commemorate our lives.

I won't let them. I've seen this too many times in my short life. I've watched as men who looked like my father, my uncle, my best friend and my boyfriends were dusted away. Blown into the wind with little more than a second thought. I won't let it happen this time. I've read, I'm stronger now, I'm wiser now. I realize that while it will take more than me, it has to start somewhere. I'm willing to plant the seed of memory in people's minds so that they know Rashawn Brazell was here.

Rashawn,

I won't let them forget you.

You're too much a part of me.

You remind me so much of my boy Rock. Young, full of promise, and gay. I told Rock about you the other day and I listened as his voice filled with outrage. I shake when I think that the name hidden deep beneath the tactless headlines could have easily been his.

If I allow them to forget you, I'm sending them a message that it is ok to forget me. To forget all young, promising Black youth after a few blurbs hidden behind the lastest news of war. I won't let it happen. I can't let it happen.

You're too much a part of me.





Check The Blog Movement for other bloggers who've agreed not to let Rashawn's name be forgotten.

5 Comments:

Blogger G. Cornelius said...

Sad...I'll kep you posted

4:01 AM

 
Blogger Meka said...

I admire you for keeping his name alive.
"It is obvious that the mainstream media is sending us a message. A message that says our young Black lives don't mean a thing to them. " That is so true and it's something that needs to change.

Blessings

8:22 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

i am saddened by this.

and even more saddened by the fact that i heard about it on a blog...instead of in the media.

thanks for posting this. it's horrible to think about. but people need to know that shit like this happens, to avoid it happening to them in the future.

that poor boy. the articles made me cry.

10:41 AM

 
Blogger AMES said...

I emailed the today show. I'm going to email some other folks. Maybe even Oprah. I'm sure one of her producers will care.

Even without the fact that he was Black, the fact that he may have met the murderer online is salacious enough for the media to latch onto.

3:59 PM

 
Blogger AMES said...

This sounds like the making of a serial killer. Someone who could be so gruesome might have gotten a high and will do it again.

I emailed all the news programs at NBC. Now on to ABC.

4:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home