Musings of a young dame making it in this Texas-boy controlled world.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Put Ya Spin On It (Got Love For My Shoes...KSWISS!!)

Breathe too heavily and you may miss the best part of the new Coke commercial. You know, the one where several young guys are hoopin' it up at the local playground when the ball rolls to the feet of an older man? While everybody is busy "ooohin and ahhin" at the fact that the older guy schooled the young shit talker, they usually miss the best part. What is it? At the very end when youngin is taking a swig from the cool, refreshing (somebody needs to pay me) Coke, his boy in the background says "Do you know who that is? That's Rooftop, son. He's a LEGEND." Then the Coke logo flashes across the screen with the word - "Respect." Point? You gotta know those who came before you if you want to be the best.

Scouring some American Idol message boards, trying to find some David Brown and Nikko Smith peformances, I stumbled upon some imbiciles who stated that Mikalah Gordon's rendition of "God Bless The Child" was *GASP* better than Billie Holiday's. What in the flying fuck they are smoking, I don't know. Brutha-free, if you ever get a hold of that Grade F mess, do not blog that day, apparently it makes you say stupid ass shit. How in the hell somebody can say a freakin 17 year old, whose hardest struggle was probably the American Idol audition process, can sing "Mama may have, papa may have...but God bless the child that's got his own.." betta than Ms. Holiday, I'll never know. Come on now, that's borderline blasphemous.

There are obviously some people who don't know that you need to know the past in order to make it through the future. Here is my list of:

Worst Remakes EVER.

"Someday We'll All Be Free" - Justin Guarini
I haven't even heard this. I just found out he had the audacity to cover this song by googling my favorite song to find out who had the balls to cover it. Come to find out it's this Sideshow Bob looking fool. He earns a spot on my list because he can't sing and no one slapped him and told him that Donny Hathaway is not to be fukked with.



"My Prerogative" - Britney Spears (Originally done by the Tyrone Biggums of R&B - Bobby Brown)
What is hell's name was she thinking when she remade this? Now she got folks talking about "she took a bad song and made it worse..." Naw pimpin, I remember. This usta be the jumpoff. Bobby Brown had grown ass married men whose young days of pimpin and spittin linen to the young women were LOOONG past talking bout "It's MYyYyy prerogative!!" So don't tell me that mess. She took what was a decent song and made it horrendous. And her cyber-space vocals certainly don't help.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" - Carl Lewis
Anytime you have to apologize midsong, you've done something extremely wrong. After fucking up royally, Carl took a break from singing and told the crowd "I'll make up for it, now..." He never did. He continued to slaughter the anthem, sounding like he had about 5 Freds from "Da Band" dying to get out. Cracked notes galore. Ya'll know that part at the end that says "O'er the land of the FrEeeeeEeEE..."? You know, the part where people usually choose to show off the upper end of their singing range? Yeah, well, not Carl. His ass got to that part, stopped mid performance, thought about it and took that note to lows (literally) never seen before. Don't believe me? Click Here to hear the atrocity.

"This Christmas" - Ashitty, oops, Ashanti
Death to ANYONE who attempts to sing this song and doesn't come remotely close to invoking the feelings of the original. So that means 95.9989% of muthafuckas who've attempted to sing this (publically) should be dropping quicker than plants in a crackhouse pretty soon.

Seriously, I cannot stand for people to try to sing this song on TV specials and shit and not even come close to the sincerity Donny poured into it. But of all the performances I've seen, Ms. Douglas' was BY FAR the worst. Barring the fact that she can't sing, nah wait, fuck that, that's the main reason for my anger towards her attempt at this song. So, not only does she sound worse than Ms. Piggy after sex (don't look at me crazy like ya'll never noticed how Ms Piggy sounded extra throaty after she and Kermit came from being alone someplace!), but the ho had the audacity to pass the mic to her even more talentless (if indeed this is possible) sister, who then proceeded to read the words off a SIDEKICK!! Don't tell me...no really, don't tell me that this lil ho didn't even have the decency to learn the words before she appeared on the blank channel (BET) to sing it? *cocking back my hand*

***SMACK!!*** BITCH....learn to respeck yo' elders fo' you come with that craziness!


"When Doves Cry" - Ginuwine (originally by *waving my finger in the air crazily the realizing "oh wait, that phase is over"*...Prince)

Do not touch Prince. Especially a classic Prince song. So what Prince songs does that leave to be tackled you ask? NONE DAMMIT, NONE!!! Until Sir Purpleness dies, no one shall touch any Prince songs. (Act 27849, hereby enacted on March 9, 2005 by the presiding Honorable Know-It-All, Ms. Liza Valentino herself, better known as Aries. )

"All I Do" - B5 (orginally by Troop)

What in the hell? That's all I gotta say. These little greasy-head boys look like they jumped straight outta Westside Story and started singing. Please ship them right on back with those Elvis hairdos. Just a mess...



Alright, I know there are TONS more that I have missed, but my mind caught a blank page and it is 2 in the morning, cut a sista a break. Tell me the ones that shoulda been on the list in the comments section.


**EDIT** BLOGGERS EVERYWHERE!! STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!! Have you taken time out to hug your "r" key today? Please do...because you could look down one day and have an empty space underneath your "4" and "5" keys...*sniff sniff* That is all....

***EDIT #2*** (in explanation of the first edit) My "r" key/button popped off my laptop and I typed my entire entry (as well as both edits) using the little nub that is found under that actual key. It's not fun and I miss my R....That is all. Get it? Good...

12 Comments:

Blogger Toya said...

someone remade "Someday we'll all be free"? I wanted to slap britney spears after i heard that...ginuwine needed to be slapped too! OH HELL NAW!!!!@Ashiti remaking "This Christmas" i've heard some other remakes of it too, but no one can sing it like Donny...now that Troop "all i do"? do you mean "All i do it think of you" ? that song? If so, Troop even remade that, the Jackson 5 originally made that, and Michael was singing his lil heart out, but i do like Troop's version, and that's the version i heard first before i even knew J5 did it first... and yea i'm lost about this R key too....lol, wait, what happened to your key? is it stuck? lol...

7:31 AM

 
Blogger MMM8199 said...

Okay so I luv Luther Vandross, but I still cringe when I hear his version of "Always and Forever." Some songs...I don't care who you are...can not be done any better than the original. Heatwave's "Always and Forever" is at the top of that list.

Also, that damn Limp Bizket remaking "Faith" by George Michael. I don't ususally listen to Limp Bizket, but all the white people I know was bumbin this shit like it was the evidence that would convict OJ Simpson. Personally I am a 80's & 90's fanatic, and you just don't mess with George Micheal!!

Oh and let's not forget all of the horrific remakes of Eurythmics (Annie Lennox and them) "Sweet Dreams." I mean for Nas it was "Street Dreams." For Marilyn Mansion it was like the song on repeat in a tramatizing nightmare. And we aren't even going to get on Lil Kim and every other idiot that has jumped off that ledge.

7:41 AM

 
Blogger Ananse's Web said...

Damn First off MIKALAH NEEDS TO GO! For real. Her voice is terrible to me. I am HOT they let Nikko go. As for remakes, they are seldom if ever better than the original.

8:58 AM

 
Blogger C.R.C. said...

ROFLMAO@ you smacking Ashanti's sister!!!
*cocking arm back to do the same to Britney Spears - with the back of my hand*

And I have to hear Carl Lewis' rendition of the Star Spangled Banner! Did you see when Dayrell had a link to one of his music videos on her page?? Dude is a hot.and.terrible.mess! LOL!

And actually, I have found that a few TV commercials have the WORST remakes you'd ever want to hear. They straight up stab and butcher some perfectly good songs. Examples: Crest Whitening Expressions (marketed towards black folk) had an extra generic version of "The closer I get to you". The Gap had a commercial out last summer in which they jacked up the Isley brothers' song "Summer Breeze". *smh* For shame! lol.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger Yvonne said...

I'm so with you, especially on Britney's cover of "My Prerogrative" (sp?) She has very nearly ruined my enjoyment of the original... But right now my biggest pet peeve as far as remakes go is Hilary & Haylie Duff's cover of The Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed", because the Go-Go's were cool, and the Duff sisters are just irritating (especially because I think they're the same person, like Haley Mills playing twins in "Parent Trap")

10:40 AM

 
Blogger Dayrell said...

Man Soul. You aint NEVER lied about that American Idol stuff!! LOL. You remember during the first auditions when Paula said that that one dude from Orlando (or wherever he was from, I think he said he worked at Disney World or something)...sung some James Brown and Paula said he sounded BETTER then James Brown? LOOOL! Man when I heard that, I must of FELL out laughing on the floor. I screamed at the TV screen like "Whaat??? Is she serious???!"...I couldn't believe she "actually" thought that. And believe herself...lol.

As for B5. I give them a year and they'll be gone. 'Cause you know Puffy doesn't keep groups in mainstream long maaan!...His groups always end up falling off. Example: Da' Band, 112 (although currently they've mad several attempts to conquer the game), Dream, ummm? who else? The only artist he had that stayed in the game the longest was Bigg.

3:18 PM

 
Blogger LB said...

LMAO @ the Tyrone Biggums of R&B. Wrong!!! And just when I thought that I had recovered, u say something like "Ashitty." Got-damn, I could probably spend a whole blog talkin' 'bout her, LOL. Yes, Ginuwine WAS WRONG for the Prince remake...he and I fell out of "like" for a minute.

3:22 PM

 
Blogger Dayrell said...

Alien Ant Farm---"Smooth Criminal" by Michael J. You can add that to your list.

3:24 PM

 
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

Listen, next time you plan on typing some hot jokes... PUT A DISCLAIMER ON! I literally laughed out loud about ten times in my library, and I caught some dutty looks. All of the songs you mentioned... despicable.

How dare you think you can attempt to sing those songs? Who filled your head with lies and made you think you had talent?

That chick from AI? HATED IT! *said in voice from Men On Film*

Ok... I'm done. But we shouldn't let these fools get gassed and start singing badly all over the place. It's a crime against humanity.

3:55 PM

 
Blogger Ms. Chrissy G. said...

WTF is up with "remakes" is the industry looking that bad in order for someone to make a song come back to the "Light"....

Ginufine did screw up when he touched The Royal Purpleness(clever title to whomever made that up) classic.

And who in the hell is B5... wait aren't they the children's version of Debarge(LMAO) that can't sing for crap....let me stop raggin on them.

Mikalah's got to go... (repeat 3 times) I have an idea. Lets form a "law" saying that making remakes is a felony in the industry....

Ahhh damn, no more raggin on remakes....Sowwie for the r key.I feel 4 u mama

12:07 PM

 
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

Girl ok...I agree with all the remakes except for the Ginuwine one...girl that boy was twerkin' it in the video...shooot I still wanna touch and feel on his stomach...let that man feel how I tremble inside...**havin hot flashes**
I'd like to nominate his other remake "She's Out of My Life"

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Shana said...

LOL. . . that was funny as hell. And I agree with you 110% about remaking Prince (my fav artist of all time btw). Just don't because you can't . . .nobody does it like prince. . . NOBODY!

3:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home